Published on March 5, 2021
Video Friday: The top 5 scientifically proven benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, and how to make sure you are getting enough
It’s Video Friday! Today’s video is presented by AuthorityNutrition.com, and covers the top 5 health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids along with published research to support each. Following is a quick review of how much omega-3s may be needed to support these health benefits.
Please take a moment to watch and share the video along with our detailed information below.
Watch the Video
After watching the video, be sure to make note of our added details below.
5 Science-Based Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Here is a quick summary of what this video discusses, along with additional information and details about omega-3s:
- Benefit #1: Helps prevent depression and anxiety. Depression one of most common mental disorders in the world. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is a serious mental health issue that affects an estimated 7% of American adults every year, and it is a leading cause of disability world-wide. One review showed the effect of omega-3s (with an average dose of 1422 mg/day of EPA) on reducing symptoms of MDD, which produced benefits beyond those of taking antidepressants alone.
- Benefit #2: Helps improve eye health. DHA is a major structural component of the brain and of the retina of the eye. Research has shown a strong connection especially between omega-3s and the risk of macular degeneration.
- Benefit #3: Promotes brain health during pregnancy and early life. Infants need DHA! A study by Tai et al has linked the intake of DHA during infancy to improved eye sight for child, higher IQ, better communication and social skills, less behavioral problems, and a decreased risk of developmental delay, ADHD, autism and cerebral palsy.
- Benefit #4: Reduces symptoms of ADHD. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is the most common neurodevelopmental problem in children. In fact, in 2016, approximately 9.4% of children ages 2-17 in the United States (about 6.1 million) had received a diagnosis of ADHD at some point in their lifetime. One study found improvements in behavioral symptoms and cognitive and visual-sensory test performance among children with ADHD who supplemented with DHA.
- Benefit #5: Reduced risk of age-related mental decline and Alzheimer’s disease. Eating more fatty fish has been linked to increased gray matter in the brain. Results from one study showed that those with the highest Omega-3 Index had a 44% lower risk of cognitive impairment, and another study showed great improvements in cognitive scores and less cognitive decline when taking omega-3s with B vitamins.
- Higher omega-3s have also been associated with improved cardiovascular health, lower risk of cancer, and a reduced relative risk for death from any cause, including COVID-19. They are beneficial for normal vision, anti-aging, skin health, maternal health, immune system, brain health, heart health, normal liver function, joints and muscles, and more.
- Studies show the most health benefits are seen when taking at least 1-2g per day of DHA and EPA. However, there can be much variability in individual responses to the same dose of omega-3s, making it important to test omega-3 levels to ensure you are getting enough.
How do You Know if You Are Getting Enough Omega-3s?
Find out where your Omega-3 Index level is while contributing to one of the world’s largest nutrient field trials – and help us answer questions about how omega-3s, vitamin D, and other essential nutrients can benefit our health.
By joining the GrassrootsHealth projects, you are not only contributing valuable information to our study, but you are also gaining knowledge about how you could improve your own health through measuring and tracking your nutrient status, and educating yourself on how to improve it. Do you know what your status of vitamin D, omega-3s, and other essential nutrients is? Could your levels be improved? Test now to find out!
We now have a NEW GIFTING SERVICE that allows you to quickly send ‘Gift Cards’ to friends, family and coworkers who you consider might need immediate access to testing, and to Claim the Joy of Your Health TODAY. Give the gift today!
What does the Research Say about Vitamin D & COVID-19?
It’s TIME to start saving lives! If you can help PREVENT the majority of the death, it’s time! What’s it costing you/us not to take action NOW?
There is much published research that supports a clear link between vitamin D and COVID-19 showing that higher vitamin D levels are related to:
Be sure to educate yourself on the benefits and importance of vitamin D for immune health, and take steps to ensure you and your loved ones are getting enough.
You can review all of the COVID-19 and immune health information we have shared on this page.
What Does it Take YOU to Get Your D to 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L)?Did you know your health could be greatly affected by making sure you have a vitamin D level of at least 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L)? Help us help you.
STEP 1 - Do you know what your vitamin D level is? If not, be sure to test today to find out.
STEP 2 – Determine your target level. Are you at your target level? Experts recommend a level of at least 40-60 ng/ml (100-150 nmol/L).
STEP 3 – Need to boost your level? Use the D*calculator to see how much vitamin D it may take to reach your target. Opt for the Loading Dose for a quicker boost.
STEP 4 – Optimize how your body absorbs and utilizes vitamin D with co-nutrients and these simple steps.
STEP 5 – Re-Test! This is an important step to make sure you have reached your target level, and to ensure you are not taking too much! Re-testing after 3-4 months is recommended.
STEP 6 – Adjust, Repeat…
Give your immune system the nutrients it needs to support a healthy you and protect yourself from unnecessary diseases, especially COVID-19.
The first Randomized Controlled Trial on vitamin D and COVID-19 has shown a 96% lower risk of ICU admission for those receiving vitamin D (as 25(OH)D to quickly boost vitamin D blood levels) along with the standard treatment, compared to those receiving standard treatment alone.
These results support many previous observational studies showing a relationship between vitamin D levels and intake and COVID-19 severity.
GrassrootsHealth Nutrient Research Institute has launched the new Immune Boost project with the use of our myData-myAnswers nutrient health system that nearly 15,000 people are already using for their health. Specific markers that influence immune health are suggested for testing as part of this project including:
- Vitamin D
- Omega-3 Index
- Essential elements magnesium, selenium, and zinc
Our goal is to demonstrate how one can use the Nutrient Research Model established by Dr. Robert Heaney to show the effect of vitamin D serum levels of at least 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L) on risk reduction for all ethnicities in the population. Status and intake of other nutrients will also be analyzed for any type of relationship to immune status and symptom severity. Join the project today!
Please let us know if you're interested in helping sponsor this project.
Through GrassrootsHealth Nutrient Research Institute, you can also test your essential elements magnesium, copper, zinc and selenium, toxins such as lead, mercury and cadmium, as well as your omega-3 levels, inflammation levels and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level. Find out your levels today! Log on to the test selection page (click the link below) to get your tests and see for yourself if your levels can be improved.
Make sure you track your results before and after, about every 6 months!
How can I track my nutrient intake and levels over time?
To help you track your supplement use and nutrient levels, GrassrootsHealth has created the Personal Health Nutrient Decision System called
For each specific supplement, you can track what days you take it, how much, and many other details. This will help you know your true supplemental intake and what patterns of use work for you to reach and maintain optimum nutrient levels. Check it out today!